Pages

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Day Two of the Ten Day Quick Recommendations: The Fifth of March by Ann Rinaldi

About 15 or 16 years ago I was taking a class on the America Revolutionary War and I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND!!!  Every textbook I had to read dragged on and on and on.  Now, I will admit that prior to this time history was never a real interest of mine, but, by Merlin's beard (a history lesson for another time), I was determined to make it through this class and learn something!  THANKFULLY someone recommended I read an historical novel to get myself in the "mood" for learning about history and I happened to pick up Ann Rinaldi's The Fifth of March.



I was enthralled! I was flabbergasted!  I was ... LEARNING!!!  Yep, I was learning myself some history ... especially as I had to do some research on the side to determine what was real in this novel and what wasn't.  Suffice to say I actually walked away with waaaayyy more knowledge about the Boston Massacre (that occurred on the 5th of March in Boston, Massachusetts and is referred to as a massacre, but actually wasn't .. I know!  Propaganda was alive and well in the 1770s!)

Anyway, Rinaldi follows the life of Rachel Marsh, a servant in the home of John and Abigail Adams, providing insight into the events that took place before, on, and after March 5th, 1770.  It's an easy read filled with emotions, history, light romance, and a road-map of sorts to life, liberty, and the American way!

No comments:

Post a Comment